REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS
RFQ 2019-01 - CODE ENFORCEMENT SPECIAL MAGISTRATE
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that sealed bids will be received by the City Clerk, City of Cape Canaveral, at City Hall, 100 Polk Avenue, Cape Canaveral, Florida 32920 until 9:00 A.M. on Friday, August 23, 2019 for the provision of code enforcement special magistrate services. Any bids received after the above time will not be accepted under any circumstances. Any uncertainty regarding the time a bid is received will be resolved against the Bidder.
Bid opening will be promptly at 9:05 A.M. on Friday, August 23, 2019 in the City Hall Conference Room A, 100 Polk Avenue, Cape Canaveral, Florida, at which time only the names of the bidders will be publicly opened and read aloud. Sealed proposals received by the City shall be exempt from public records disclosure in accordance with Section 119.071, Florida Statutes until such time the City provides notice of intended decision or until 30 days after opening the proposals, whichever is earlier. This time period may be extended if proposals are rejected in accordance with Section 119.071, Florida Statutes.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: to provide code enforcement special magistrate services in accordance with City of Cape Canaveral Ordinances Nos. 05-2019 and 11-2019 and Florida Statutes Chapter 162. The scope of work to be performed by the awarded firm/individual consists of, but is not limited to, the following:
- The Special Magistrate shall conduct hearings as provided in Chapter 162,Florida Statutes and City of Cape Canaveral Ordinances related to the enforcement of the City of Cape Canaveral Code of Ordinances, other adopted ordinances, land development regulations, permits and policies of the City of Cape Canaveral.
- Special Magistrate agrees to observe all pertinent laws in the exercise of his or her duties, including, but not limited to, the Sunshine Law, the Public Records Law, Chapter 112 of the Florida Statutes relating to conflicts of interest, and laws relating to procedures for quasi-judicial hearings.
- The City shall provide such clerical and administrative personnel as deemed reasonably necessary to support the Special Magistrate’s activities and assist in the proper performance of duties. The Special Magistrate shall not be authorized to engage, hire, or use any person, except those provided by the City to assist in the performance of duties, at the City’s expense.
- The Special Magistrate shall serve a one (1) year term, which shall be automatically extended on a yearly basis unless otherwise directed by City Council prior to the expiration of the current term.
- All other relevant assignments relating to code enforcement Special Magistrate services, as may be requested.
BIDDING DOCUMENTS: Interested parties may request a copy of the complete RFQ by contacting the City of Cape Canaveral, City Clerk’s Office, 100 Polk Avenue, Cape Canaveral, FL 32920 during normal business hours of 8:30 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. Monday through Friday, by telephone at (321) 868-1220 x207 or x206 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
PRE-BID MEETING: A pre-bid meeting will not be held for this RFQ.
- Must be a member in good standing of The Florida Bar for a minimum of five (5) years and otherwise meet the requirements set forth in City Ordinance Nos. 05-2019 and No. 11-2019; and
- Be engaged in the practice of law; and
- Shall carry and provide proof of $1,000,000 professional/malpractice insurance before award of contract; and
- Be knowledgeable of Florida law and the code enforcement process, the International Property Maintenance Code (2018 edition or previous recent editions) and the City of Cape Canaveral's Code of Ordinances; and
- Must not, at the time or appointment and during tenure as Special Magistrate, simultaneously serve another “office” in violation of Florida’s dual office prohibition.
Preference may be given to those attorneys who have prior local government experience, experience in a judicial capacity, certification by The Florida Bar in an appropriate area or experience as a hearing officer, mediator, arbitrator or special magistrate. Residency in the City of Cape Canaveral is not required.
SELECTION PROCESS: After the proposals are opened by the Community Development Director (or designee), a list of proposals received will be posted on the City of Cape Canaveral's website.
Thereafter, the proposals shall be reviewed by an Evaluation Committee consisting of the City Manager, Community Development Director and the City Planner or such other department heads appointed by the City Manager. The City Attorney shall be an advisor to the Evaluation Committee and the City Council. The Evaluation Committee shall make recommendations to City Council for the appointment of a Special Magistrate(s). The City Council will appoint, in its sole discretion, the Special Magistrate(s) that the City Council determines is in the best interests of the City. A contract will subsequently be prepared and executed between the Special Magistrate(s) and the City setting forth the specific terms and conditions of the engagement consistent with the RFQ.