- Visit the Brevard County website for the County's latest information & resources, including the Small Business Economic Relief Program and other CARES Act programs.
- State and Federal:
City Council rescinded the local State of Emergency at its meeting on June 15th. Accordingly, effective June 15th, building permit and various zoning application fee reductions are no longer in effect. City Council had temporarily reduced these fees by 50 percent to assist residents and business owners during COVID-19, with a return-to-normal date tied to the end of the local COVID-19 Emergency Order. Additionally, with the rescinding of the local Emergency Order, the limited authorization for businesses to use one feather flag and a snipe sign was temporarily extended for one month (to July 20, 2021), to allow businesses a 30-day transition/grace period before these types of temporary signs must be removed (these signs are normally prohibited). City Council will consider the feather flag and snipe sign prohibition at their July 20th meeting.
- On May 3, 2021, Governor DeSantis signed Executive Order 21-102, immediately suspending COVID-19 restrictions issued by local authorities.
- Governor’s DeSantis issued Executive Order 20-81 prohibiting COVID-19 Vaccine Passports. Per EO 20-81:
- Florida businesses are prohibited from requiring proof of vaccination for patrons or customers
- No Florida government entity can issue vaccine passports or passes to certify proof of vaccine
- The CDC published technical instructions for the next phase of the Conditional Sailing Order requiring cruise lines to establish agreements
at ports, implement routine testing of crew, and develop plans incorporating strategies to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19
- The Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) is re-opening for new and existing PPP borrowers the week of January 11. Up to $284 billion in additional funding is available toward job retention and certain other expenses through March 31, 2021 Learn more: https://bddy.me/2Ljaj3X
- CAPE CANAVERAL COMMUNITY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY TO OFFER SIGN ASSISTANCE PROGRAM FOR LOCAL SMALL BUSINESSES
Small business success is a key component of a successful and vibrant community. Therefore, in an effort to increase local business awareness, economic productivity, and aesthetics within the City, the Cape Canaveral Community Redevelopment Agency is launching a Small Business Sign Assistance program to incentivize certain small business owners to improve business signage by replacing existing older and outdated signage that is not only more aesthetically attractive for the residents and visitors, but to increase their brand exposure and improve the chances of attracting new and repeat clientele.
Subject to the terms and conditions of the Program, Grant awards will be considered on a first come, first served basis - based on a completed application, with reimbursement up to 50% of the cost of the new signage, and a maximum allocation up to $5,000 per applicant and property.
The City has begun accepting applications for this program.
For more information on eligibility, available funds and the application process, visit: www.cityofcapecanaveral.org/sign_program.
- Printable COVID-19 Face Mask Signs for Your Business from Brevard County. (7/9/20)
- FPL resources for businesses: Tools to help lower your bill, small adjustments to your A/C for savings, federal funding resources and tips for appliances, refrigeration, lighting and more!
- Link to Identification of Critical Infrastructure Employees from the Department of Homeland Security.
- Paycheck Protection Program applications are now available through Regions Bank. For more information, text your questions to Valia Rich at (321) 223-4506.
- The Employee Retention Credit allows businesses of all sizes to receive a tax credit for keeping employees on their payroll. It will refund 50% of up to $10,000 in wages paid by businesses impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. Businesses that take small business loans are not eligible.
- The House-passed Emergency Coronavirus Bill will provide significant relief to small businesses that cannot afford the employee costs associated with COVID-19. The bill provides a dollar-for-dollar reimbursement for COVID-19-related sick leave costs, including paid emergency leave with two weeks of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave. More information to come.
- The Small Business Administration is now offering Disaster Assistance Loans to businesses in designated states and territories affected by COVID-19. This program is now open for applications. Information on qualification and application process can be found on this online portal.
- Florida Department of Economic Opportunity has programs to help both employers and employees deal with the costs of illness, caring for ill family members, shorter hours, and closures. Employers can also request an extension on their payroll reports and payroll taxes.
- The waiting period for State Unemployment & Disability Insurance is waived for affected workers. More information can be found at the Florida Department of Financial Services.
Small Business Information & Resources
- City of Cape Canaveral Business Tax Receipt (BTR) Information
- Brevard County Tourism Development Council (TDC) The Brevard County Tourist Development Council (TDC) was established to promote growth, development, and quality of tourism on the Space Coast. We encourage participation by both visitors and residents in tourism related activities, and act as the primary body to determine direction, goals and policy for use of the tourism tax.
- Career Source Brevard administers The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and Welfare Transition programs in Brevard County as well as grants and other employment support activities, advised by a Board of Directors comprised of leaders of the community, with more than 40% representing private industry.
- Cocoa Beach Regional Chamber of Commerce Is a preferred resource to develop and enhance local business success.
- eFlorida Enterprise Florida is the Official Economic Development Organization for the State of Florida.
- Economic Development Commission (EDC) of Florida's Space Coast The Economic Development Commission of Florida’s Space Coast is an innovative, countywide, not-for-profit partnership between the Brevard County Commission and the Space Coast business community. Business leaders, chambers of commerce, local and state government leaders, and community organizations contribute to the overall mission of the EDC.
- Florida Small Business Development Network State designated as Florida's principal provider of Small Business assistance
- Office of Supplier Diversity The Office of Supplier Diversity’s function is to improve business and economic opportunities for Florida’s minority, women, and service-disabled veteran business enterprises.
- SCORE SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business" is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and the formation, growth and success of small business nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
- Small Business Development Center Small Business Development Center at the University of Central Florida
- U.S. Small Business Administration The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) was created in 1953 as an independent agency of the federal government to aid, counsel, assist and protect the interests of small business concerns, to preserve free competitive enterprise and to maintain and strengthen the overall economy of our nation.