Dogs Are Not Allowed on Cape Canaveral Beaches
Per our Code of Ordinances, no animals of any kind are allowed on beaches within the City of Cape Canaveral. The exception to this rule is service dogs that are actively working to assist or aid the person(s) they were trained to serve. (To view the City Code of Ordinances, Sec. 14-28 in its entirety, click here.)
Bringing your non-service dog to a Cape Canaveral beach could result in a citation and a fine of $35.00.
If you would like to report a non-service dog on the beach, please call the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office non-emergency number at (321) 633-7162.
Dog-Friendly Cape Canaveral
- In the City’s Vision Statement, Cape Canaveral envisions an engaged and compassionate Community that offers City-wide green spaces and a pet-friendly park. The City is taking strides toward achieving these goals in several ways. Here are just a few examples:
- In 2017, the City began a trial period to analyze the impact dogs had on residents, parks and quality of life. On May 15, 2018, City Council voted to end the trial period and permanently allow on-leash dogs in City parks due to Community enjoyment and positive feedback.
- Many City-sponsored events are now open to canine companions. You’ll find more information about our dog-friendly City events below.
- In May 2019, the City opened Rover's Space within Xeriscape Park on Taylor Avenue where off-leash dogs and their owners can socialize, strengthening ties in both our human and canine Communities.
Leashed Dogs Are Welcome in All City Parks
Pets are a part of the family and we encourage you to enjoy our City parks with your pups, as long as they are kept on a leash and you pick up after them. Pet waste bag dispensers and trash cans are available in most City parks. For the safety of your pet and others, we recommend a leash that is no longer than six feet. Below you’ll find a list of our parks and their addresses, so you can explore Cape Canaveral with your four-legged friends. (Click on a park’s name to view its hours, features and a full list of amenities.)
- Banana River Park — 901 Puerto Del Rio Drive, Cape Canaveral 32920
- Bennix Park — 300 Washington Avenue, Cape Canaveral 32920
- Canaveral City Park — 7920 Orange Avenue, Cape Canaveral 32920
- Center Street Park — 212 Center Street, Cape Canaveral 32920
- Manatee Sanctuary Park — 701 Thurm Boulevard, Cape Canaveral 32920
- Nancy Hanson Recreation Complex exterior pedways — 7300 N. Atlantic Avenue, Cape Canaveral 32920
- Patriots Park — 200 Long Point Road, Cape Canaveral 32920
- Veterans Memorial Park — 265 Polk Avenue, Cape Canaveral 32920
- Xeriscape Park + Rover's Space — 106 Taylor Avenue, Cape Canaveral 32920
Dog-Friendly Events in Cape Canaveral
The vast majority of City events are open to on-leash dogs, with the exception of any events or activities taking place indoors or on the beach. (Service dogs are always permitted, of course.) However, owners are required to pick up after their pets, so please make sure you bring a supply of pet waste bags with you.
Here are several events your pups can attend with you, all of which charge no admission fee:
- Fido Field Day — The City’s annual celebration of National Dog Day is all about your furry family members. The event is hosted in Manatee Sanctuary Park.
- Founders’ Day — Every April, the Community comes together in Manatee Sanctuary Park to celebrate all things Cape Canaveral. Pets are part of our Community, so leashed pups are welcome at the event.
- Friday Fest — This event takes place every first Friday of the month, excluding July. Come out for live music, arts and crafts vendors, food, friends and fun all at the corner of Taylor and Poinsetta Avenues.
- Street Eats — A quarterly food truck rally that takes place at City Hall.
- Trunk or Treat — Traditionally hosted the Friday before Halloween, local businesses and organizations decorate their vehicles to hand out candy to the children of the Community and a Monster Mash dance competition is held. This event takes place on the corner of Taylor and Poinsetta Avenues.
To learn if an event not listed here is dog friendly, please contact the Leisure Services Department at (321) 868-1226.
Dog-Friendly Beaches and Off-Leash Dog Parks Nearby
We understand wanting to play with your pups at the beach or needing a place where they can frolic off leash. The following lists should help you better plan an outing with your best four-legged friend. We’ve also provided their distances from Cape Canaveral.
Note: Please check the park and beach websites before you visit, as some may require proof of vaccination or are limited to Brevard County dogs.
- Parts of Cocoa Beach — See Cocoa Beach’s beach rules for specifics. (6.1 miles)
- Canova Beach Park — 3299 State Road A1A, Melbourne 32901 (17.9 miles)
Off-leash dog parks
- Rover's Space within Xeriscape Park — 106 Taylor Avenue, Cape Canaveral 32920
- Lori Wilson Park — 1500 N. Atlantic Avenue, Cocoa Beach 32931 (4.1 miles)
- Satellite Beach Dog Park — 750 Jamaica Boulevard, Satellite Beach 32937 (17.1 miles)
- Port St. John Dog Park — 6300 Fay Boulevard, Cocoa 32927 (18.3 miles)