The following is from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
- The Community Garden will use a drip irrigation system under the soil
- There will be NO reuse / vegetable surface direct contact
Florida Administrative Code (FAC) 62-610.475 Edible Crops.
- Irrigation of edible crops that will be peeled, skinned cooked or thermally processed before consumption is allowed. Direct contact of the reclaimed water with such edible crops is allowed.
- Irrigation of tobacco or citrus is allowed. Direct contact of the reclaimed water with tobacco or citrus is allowed, including citrus used for fresh table fruit, processing into concentrate, or other purposes.
- Irrigation of edible crops that will not be peeled, skinned, cooked, or thermally processed before consumption is allowed if an indirect application method that will preclude direct contact with the reclaimed water (such as ridge and furrow irrigation, drip irrigation, or a subsurface distribution system) is used.
- Irrigation of edible crops that will not be peeled, skinned, cooked or thermally processed before consumption using an application method that allows for direct contact of the reclaimed water on the crop is prohibited.
- The permittee shall maintain an inventory of commercial agricultural operations using reclaimed water to irrigate edible crops. The inventory of edible crop irrigation shall be submitted to the Department at least 30 days before any agricultural operation which will use reclaimed water for irrigation of edible crops will be added to the reused system. The inventory of edible crop irrigation shall be submitted annually to the Department with the annual report of reclaimed water utilization required by subsection 62-610.870(3), F.A.C. The inventory of edible crop irrigation shall include the following:
(a) Name of the agricultural operation.
(b) Name and telephone number of the owner or operator of the agricultural operation.
(c) Address of the agricultural operation.
(d) Edible crops irrigated with reclaimed water.
(e) Type of application (irrigation) method used.
(f) Approximate area under irrigation on which edible crops are grown.
- If requested, the Department shall authorize special demonstration projects to collect and present data related to the direct application of reclaimed water on crops which are not peeled, skinned, cooked, or thermally processed before consumption. Crops produced during such demonstration projects may be used as animal feeds or may be thermally processed or cooked for human consumption. If the applicant, based on the data collected, demonstrates to the Department that public health will be protected if their reclaimed water is directly applied to crops which are not peeled, skinned, cooked, or thermally processed, the Department shall waive the prohibition described in subsection 62-610.475(4), F.A.C., for that project. When considering such demonstration projects, the Department shall seek the advice of the Department of Health.
Rulemaking Authority 403.051, 403.061, 403.087 FS. Law Implemented 403.021, 403.051, 403.061, 403.062, 403.085, 403.086, 403.087, 403.088 FS. History–New 4-4-89, Amended 9-13-89, Formerly 17-610.475, Amended 1-9-96, 8-8-99.