What We Do
The City Manager is responsible for the day-to-day administration of all City departments in accordance with City Council’s established policies and direction, local ordinances, resolutions and state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
The City Manager’s primary responsibilities include:
- Provide sustained administrative leadership and coordination of Staff and board activities in carrying out the acts and directives of the City Council, through overall supervision and coordination. Review with the council and with heads of the several boards and offices the programs and projects of the City and make recommendations as may be necessary to administer the City most effectively in the public interest.
- Assist the mayor in carrying out the administrative and executive responsibilities delegated to the mayor and, in connection with these responsibilities, plan, direct, coordinate and manage the administrative affairs of the City Council
- Prepare and submit the annual budget to the City Council.
- Appoint, and when deemed necessary for the good of the service, suspend or remove City employees and appointed administrative officers provided for, by and under the Charter, except as otherwise provided by law, the Charter or personnel rules. The city manager may authorize any administrative officer who is subject to the city manager's direction and supervision to exercise these powers with respect to subordinates in that officer's department, office or division.
- Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices and divisions of the City, except as provided by the Charter or by law.
- Perform such other duties as are specified in the Charter or as may be required by the City Council.
Things to Know
The City Manager’s executive assistant responds promptly to emails and phone calls from the Community, and supports the City Manager, mayor, Council Members and department directors.