font size

Flood Protection

One of the most devastating effects of a hurricane is flooding. However, flooding is not covered by most homeowners insurance policies. Many Cape Canaveral residents live in or near a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), which is a zone where flooding may occur in the event of heavy rainfall, a hurricane or other natural disaster. As a result, residents may elect or be required to obtain flood insurance, which is available to all residents at a discount as a result of the City’s participation in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and the Federal Emergency Management Association’s Community Rating System (CRS).

Call the Floodplain Administration (321) 868-1220 at the City of Cape Canaveral Building Department, located at 100 Polk Ave., to determine if your property is in a Special Flood Hazard Area.

Elevation Certificates on file, collected by the City, are available at City Hall.

Brevard County Flood Zone Map

Plug in your address to determine whether you live in a flood zone.

  • Purchase flood insurance. Regular homeowner's insurance does not cover flooding, and may not cover wind-driven rain.
  • Flooding can occur from heavy rainfall or from rising waters of the Indian River, Banana River, St. John's River, Mosquito Lagoon, Sykes Creek or Newfound Harbor.

Print this page
Resize text
Share this